Join our mailing list

If you would like to receive exclusive news and special offers from The House of Daniel Thwaites, simply enter and confirm your details below.

We promise not to bombard you, but if you change your mind, and you do not wish to receive information from us, you can unsubscribe at any time.

Travel trends - 15% of travellers take multi-generational holidays

Multi-generational holidays are growing in popularity allowing extended families to spend time together.  A recent survey*, commissioned by the House of Daniel Thwaites, found that 15% of UK travellers now holiday in multi-generational family groups.

With everyone having such busy lives 60% of the respondents stated that holidaying in multi-generational groups provides a way to spend quality time together.  The survey also revealed that 55% claimed that these holidays offer the chance for grandparents to spend time with grandchildren they don’t often see, with 45% saying it allowed families who live further apart the chance to come together.

Other reasons for the increasing popularity of multi-generation holidays included providing a better spread of childcare while on holiday, allowing parents to have more of a break as well as giving grandparents, who are generally more active, the opportunity to travel and share experiences with the wider family.  Keeping the costs of holidays down was the sixth most popular risen given revealing that spending quality time together is more important than saving money.

When asked what they would look for when booking a multi-generation holiday, the top five features were a great location with lots to do (67%), great facilities for all age groups (65%), choice of dining option (43%), a range of accommodation in one location (40%) and family or interconnecting room (26%).

The survey asked parents and grandparents, who holiday with children, what type of rooms they prefer.  For those parents travelling with children under 12 years old, 67% look for a family room, this drops to 18% when staying with children over 12 years old.  Interconnecting rooms would be chosen by 40% of those with under 12s and just 7% would opt for separate rooms nearby.  Parents with older children are happy with a bit more space with 60% preferring interconnecting rooms and 36% happy with separate rooms nearby.   For grandparents, 55% prefer family rooms if the children are under 12, with 45% choosing interconnecting rooms and just 12% separate rooms nearby.  However, for over 12s, 62% opt for interconnecting rooms, 34% for separate rooms nearby and 18% would select a family room.

Chris Hill, Hotels Operations Director at the House of Daniel Thwaites, said: “We are seeing more extended family groups holidaying together leading to the rise in requests for family and interconnecting rooms. 

“We are in the fortunate position to be able to offer a selection of adaptable accommodation within our hotels, lodges and inns.  This allows us to provide an option for all budgets as well as a choice of dining options.  All our hotels are located in areas popular with families offering a wide range of places to visit and activities to suit all ages.”

To book a break with the House of Daniel Thwaites, visit www.houseofdanielthwaites.co.uk.